The University of Leicester was founded in 1921 as Leicestershire and Rutland University College. The site for the College was donated by a local textile manufacturer, Thomas Fielding Johnson, in order to create a living memorial for those who lost their lives in First World War.
In 1927, after it became University College, Leicester, students sat the examinations for external degrees of the University of London. Vaughan College, founded as a Working Men's College by Revd David Vaughan in 1862, merged with the University College 1929. In 1957 the college was granted its Royal Charter, and has since then had the status of a University with the right to award its own degrees.
This new collection will eventually contain several hundred photographs and other items from the University Archives. All images are published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives license and may be reused for non-commercial purposes subject to acknowledgment to the University of Leicester.